Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One big ass cake

To say I was a little apprehensive about making a five tier wedding cake in my very ordinary sized oven would definately be true. To say I was expecting drama, a little tearing of hair out, or even a mini disaster would also be true. The sheer volumes that I was working with meant odds were stacked against me with my track record. I was prepared for the worst. But what happened? Nothing. I had a very relaxed and calm three days at home, baking, icing, decorating and listening to too loud music of all shapes and sizes.

The quantities were quite impressive though. I was told this cake would be THE dessert.... eeekkk! I did convince them to maybe serve something else with it as well. So here is a few stats to wow your pants off:
- 10 x cakes baked (which equalled 16 x the original recipe in total)
- 7kg of fondant icing to cover the cake
- 36 eggs
- over 3kg of sugar
- 4kg yoghurt
- 36 lemons
- 4 litres of oil
- 3 dozen roses

You may guess by now, it was a lemon cake and it was covered in a white chocolate and vanilla bean butter icing (and then the fondant of course). This was the first time for me using fresh flowers and also the first time using a stencil with fondant and royal icing.... yes, like I said, I had reason to be nervous.

I was lucky enough to have my own personal photographer on hand while I was setting up and cutting the cake, so for once there are some decent pictures of the process:

Big chunks of fondant all ready for kneading... I think I know officially have OOS from doing this.

Cakes get the butter icing treatment before the fondant is put over top, not very exiciting looking but for anyone who is actually interested in what happens before it is made to look all pretty.

Stencilled and not stencilled cakes. You're thinking, whats with the plastic bags they're sitting on, weirdo? It makes it easier to move them, pick them up, slide them along the bench etc without damaging any of the icing.. ok?

The bottom layer of cake in its just-out-of-the-oven look. Good square (or round) cakes are all about perfect baking paper.... thanks Yvonne, I would have never known if it wasn't for you!

More stencilled cakes waiting to be put together.

The two base layers finally all put together. I just like the sun coming through the blinds onto them.

Three dozen red roses got delivered on the Friday, which made my house pretty at least for a short time and I couldn't help but take some pictures with them.

Construction time!!!! Getting the roses in place was like a puzzle, fix one bit, and the other bit goes wrong. But it all came together after a little back and forth.

Piping icing onto the pillars to help them stick to the layer I was about to place on top.










And now for the decontruction!!! With help from the fabulous Gina, Kylie and Stuart.... Kylie being the one behind the camera taking lovely photos.... thanks! First layer comes down.

Stuart and Gina being cheeky monkies


Finally allowed to touch something. tasting the 'glue' icing... so easy to please.

Pulling the wodden dowel out of the cake before cutting

Cutting.... cutting.... and more cutting


140 slices of cake (with turkish delight) ready for the eating. Not that I had any, for some reason I never eat the cakes I make. Don't ask me why, maybe I've just spent too much time with it already, and I figure its really there for everyone else to enjoy.

So.... there..... biggest cake yet. Happy how it went, happy its done and happy they liked it. Next cake isn't until next month, but I'm sure I'll find somethign at least mildly entertaining to write about before then.

8 comments:

  1. Rach, it looks amazing, well done. Hope you had some of your business cards floating around somewhere??
    Luv Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rach, it looked sooooo good I wish I could bake like that:) Great job!!!

    Love Ellie xxxxoxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel - this is Cindy from work. Alice told me to check out your blog as I was commenting on how delicious the cake was you made for her birthday. Just wondering what sort of notice you need to make another like that but only half the size and simply decorated with icing?? Its very short notice - we hae 3 birthdays this wee from Monday to Wed and thought I could get one made for Nigel (husband) for his bday on Tuesday it save me on one. Let me know what you think and if it is a goer how much. You can tell me at work or email me on paxtonfour@xtra.co.nz

    Cheers Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! A friend referred me to your blog and I've been following it ever since. I think how you're documenting your progress is really inspiring! I want to do special event cakes someday, so I bake at every chance I get. Still got a ways to go before I catch up to you though!

    Anyway, the point of my posting - if you don't mind me asking...what is this stenciled cake business? These cakes are breath-taking! Obviously I know what a stencil is, but how does it work here with the fondant? Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steph,

    Thanks for your comment and its nice to see other people (that I don't know) reading my blog... very exciting!

    Really I just dived in head first when it came to making cakes and so far it seems to have worked for me. Although initially when you're still figuring out techniques and what you're capable of, lots of planning and research is your best friend to avoid any major dramas and mishaps. But just go for it, start out by offering to make something for a friend as a prezzie or nice gresture and then theres less pressure if its not as perfect as you want it to be.

    But in terms of stencils, theres heaps of different mediums you can use and ways to apply them. In this case I just coovered the cake in rolled fondant as you normally would and then with a fairly steady hand (and fingered crossed) I hold the stencil against the side of the cake and use a small palatte knife to spread or scrape small amounts of black royal icing (fairly thick/spreadable consistency) over the stencil until its all covered. Its all a bit of trial and error, you don't want to spread it too thick or have the royal icing to runny so its worth practicing your technique a little before doing it on your perfect looking cake. In terms of applying it I've read about some people taping the stencil to the cake or even wetting/greasing it to make it stick to the cake while you're applying the stencil icing. Also some people use buttercream or a food safe spray for the stencil design instead of royal icing.

    Hope thsi is useful!: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's BUTTERCREAM? Wow. You're good. It's flawless!

    Right now I'm in a country without a lot of baking supplies so I tend to stick to the basics, but I'm about to return home to the US and from there I'm gonna try every cake material known to man - fondant, gum paste, what-have-you lol maybe even stenciling on fondant with buttercream...So keep on motivating me, ok? haha

    PS I realized my ID link was to the tumblr dashboard and not to my actual blog, in case you tried to look. Problem solved though! Not that it's that impressive, I've only decided to put up cakes I've made in the last 3 weeks so it's a work in progress. No looking back for me, only forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry - its royal icing, not butter cream.... butter cream is just another option.

    Looking forward to seeing your creations! The states has such great sites to buy supplies from, here in NZ its a bit more limited but still not bad: )

    I've got a couple of cakes coming up, so keep your eyes peeled: )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph - just checked out your pics, your cakes are gorgeous, you have plenty of talent, looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete