Sunday, January 16, 2011

If you were a cake, what flavour would you be?

I was never very good at that game (or maybe it was a test) where you say what animal you would be. How do you decide that? Physical and/or personality characteristics? Habits? Lifestyle?

So if I was a cake.... I know what I wouldn't be - a fruit cake. Trust me, I can see the obvious jokes that come with that. But I do have a serious aversion for fruit cakes. At Christmas I understand... but lets say its your wedding or birthday, with all the flavours under the sun is this really going to be your first choice? For a select few, yes... and I'm sorry I'm bagging your favourite cake. If this is what someone really wanted for their cake, I would make it happily and make sure it's a fabulous one. But when theres chocolate and lemons and pineapple and apples (and, and, and, and) and light and fluffy gorgeousness out there.... is the fruit cake really it?

I think in part the answer to this is that we do (ask for) what we know, whats traditional, what we think is the right thing. Now this isn't just limited to fruit cake, if not that, its usually chocolate or lemon or banana. These are all amazing cakes... they wouldn't be so popular if they weren't tried and true stars of the cake world.

I am curious - are there some undiscovered cake stars out there? Flavours that could become staples to offer up? I have done some experimentation in the past and I think my favourite out of that was a mint angel food cake with dark chocolate ganache - like a cake version of an after dinner mint. The absolute most important thing is that any new cake MUST be exceptional to make the cut.... and from experience I can say it takes many cake experiments to end up with just one new one that will become a staple.

You might have been wondering whether this post would have me actually producing anything. So... we come to today's experiement - Mango cake! It has just come out of the oven and its probably time for a quick taste test. Stuart is my semi-impartial judge, and after a slice, I quote, 'Mmmmm'. His formal evaluation is positive... different and tasty, but the fibers from the mango do sort of look like hairs.
Me? It is tasty - the texture is excellent, but I do wish there was a stronger mango flavour. It may need some more taste testing before we know for sure if its a good-un. Here is some evidence of it all:




I have a challenge for you... If you were a cake, what flavour would you be? Take away all normal boundaries of what we think cake flavours should be and tell me what your supreme cake flavour would be? Thinking about it, maybe I'm challenging you to challenge me, because I plan on experimenting on some of the flavours that you come up with. Assuming there is interest here - post a comment with your flavour idea. Surprise me....

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea!

    My Robbie says he'd be a bourbon and coke cake. I see myself more as a rosewater sponge cake - lightly dusted with icing sugar to keep in the whole turkish delight theme.

    And yet, together, we somehow work!!!! Lol

    Happy baking Rach, and happy tasting to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be something sweet and tangy but slightly crunchy, with interesting bits in the middle. Not too sweet but not 'boringly wholesome' either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White chocolate and feijoa!!! And you'd have to add some cinnamon (I dunno how to spell it) in there for good measure.
    Oh how I miss feijoas. Stoopid australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummingbird ... always a surprise!

    ReplyDelete