Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's a new day... so what do I do with it?

I am back in the world of mobile blogging. I finally gave in, got frustrated, stopped procrastinating and bought a new laptop. Check it out... she is beautiful:


So what happens to a blog about making cakes when there are no cakes to make?

I have some ideas.... Although this brings me back to my thoughts on the purpose of a blog. Do you guys really want to see my garden growing or other things I have been making in the kitchen? Or is it all about the cakes? Should I be trying new techniques I want to learn and blogging about it? This is what was originally planned, but maybe a blog morphs as it grows, as life changes?
Ok, so lets think... things I could blog about:
  • My garden, yes it is growing and I am excited about it
  • Other foods being cooked in my kitchen
  • The mammouth knitting project I recently finished ( yes, knitting... don't knock it until you've tried it)
  • Some cake techniques I want to try:
    • Whimsical style cake (mad hatter cake)
    • Stunning, tall layer cakes
    • Piped designs on a cake (royal icing)
Lets be honest, I could write a whole blog about how much I think eggs are a truely amazing phenomenon or my all time favourite All Blacks... the blogging world is my oyster.

And if these are the topics, do I blog about what I want, what I'm most excited about? Or do I blog about what I think you would be most interested in? Are these the same things?

At the moment, with no cake orders and my knitting quest complete, my brain has enough space in it that it is starting to drift back to dreaming about food and what I would like to try making. Lying here in bed on a Sunday morning the prospect of heading into my kitchen with new ideas and new things I haven't tried makes me smile.

This makes me realise, my blog is all about a voyage of discovery, trying new things and finding out what happens... what works, what doesn't and getting to share the results. It's all about adventures people!

So, its a new day, its a new laptop and apparently its all about trying new things.

Skip forward 8 hours.....

Its now the afternoon of this new day and my food day dreaming has become a reality.

Fresh pasta is one of my all time favourite things in the world, I can't explain it, I just love it. Today... spinach pasta, last time I made this (years ago) it wasn't very successful - the spinach wasn't dry enough. Then on top of that, filled fresh pasta makes me even happier. So here it is, super simple and gorgeous... fresh spinach tortellini with cheese filling:

Pasta dough and making the cheese filling

Making tortellini

Complete!

Then it isn't a cooking Sunday without something sweet and I seem to have an affinity for cookies at the moment... these particular cookies are something I have been interested in making for a while. These aren't the most perfect and pretty things I've ever made but they tasted fab... shortbread coated in walnut with raspberry jam centre. Here are the before and after baking photos (not too different):



So the first of (potentially) a string of blog posts without cakes, let me know what you think... let me know if you want to see more foodie treats. Be back soon... I promise.

2 comments:

  1. First, the pasta and cookies look delicious. Making homemade pasta is on my list of things to try to make. Second, I just started following your blog recently, but I think you should write what you are most excited about because that will show through in your blog and your writing and people will respond to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie recipe, please, they look great and we're going to have a lot of berries this year. I'm always on the look out for new Christmas cookies too, in case you've got special ones.

    ReplyDelete