Sunday, July 10, 2011

Big Balls or Big Fail?

Somehow, and I'm not sure how I got to this point, I found myself in a position I had never been in before with a cake. It was something I did myself, there were no outside influences, but at the same time it was nearly subconscious... I didn't plan it that way at all, its not in my nature.

For those who have followed my blog you know I spend plenty of time trying out things I've never done before, well before making the actual cake so I know I can do it and I know there isn't going to be any scary freak out moments right before the cake is due.

This time... not the case. Yes, ahead of time I made the decorations that needed to be made so they could dry out and that sort of thing. However for this cake I had decided to also make a piece of fondant look like a piece of tartan fabric. I had researched how to do it, I had a plan in my head.... now usually my next step would be about 1-2 weeks out to actually test out my plan so I could make any adjustments or changes if it was a big fail. I didn't. I don't even know why I didn't, I just didn't. Then the Wednesday before it was due (on a Saturday), I didn't again.... why? Even stranger is that there was no stress about having not tested it. It wasn't until the Saturday morning that the cake was due that I actually made a test piece of tartan... and here it is. Not completely perfect but far from a fail:


What seriously possessed me? Did I have more faith? Have I grown a pair? Or what? It definately wasn't laziness... I don't do lazy it when it comes to my cakes, too obsessive. But something in my brain just knew it was going to be fine. Is this a new level in my cake adventures? Maybe... I am not really sure what to make of it.... it just wasn't very 'Rachel'.

Suffice to say, this has to be one of my all time favourite cakes I have made. It was probably one of the more highly customised themes for the person it was for. What I was originally paranoid about was the dress form I made actually staying on the wooden dowel and drying properly.... turned out it was solid as a rock, but here it is right after I took it out of the drying cupboard for the first time... unfinished:


As promised, I took a tonne more photos this time... whether or not you find them interesting, I don't know. I also realised that when I take these photos I take no notice of whats in the background... and now I'm wondering how much other people reading the blog look at whats in the background? And what odd things might have people seen in the background? Hmmm... I probably shouldn't obsess. Here are a few of the 'making' process... I even had my photographer out taking a couple, hence the photo from above my head:

So while you're looking at this shot I should explain; it was a rich chocolate mud cake filled and covered with a white chocolate buttercream icing, which a berry layer through the middle as well.


I have to give extra big props to this picture (which I took, so oddly I'm just giving myself a big thumbs up), it is my favourite. I decided for an additional affect to cover the base board in tartan before I put the cake on it... it also gave me another chance to practice my skills:

And here are the rest... finished cake in all its tartan glory:







Rach... loved doing this cake for you, you made it fabulous.... even from afar. Next time I will make something you actually get to eat. xoxox

1 comment: